Sunday, September 12, 2010

Help Me!!!


Jonathan and I are getting ready to go on a trip down to San Diego this week for my friend Nicomi's bridal shower. I am very excited but the trip starts and ends with a 2 hour flight. How on earth do you keep a 5 month old calm on a plane. I keep having dreams that I am the mom with the screaming, inconsolable baby for two hours. To make matters worse, Jonathan hates pacifiers and will no longer take one. He hates sitting and will only calm down when I stand up and rock him. Do any of you frequent flyer's have any suggestions for me. I will be all by myself and am starting to feel a little overwhelmed.

5 comments:

Tysen and Stacie Barker said...

Sorry Kim, no ideas here. I don't have any kids ha ha. Just wanted to wish you good luck on flight! Miss you guys :)

Carrie said...

I know that if you have him drinking something during take off and landing that will help immensely to keep his ears from popping (a HUGE reason kids cry on flights). Take plenty of different toys. Also, remember that with baby's they are SO willing to do anything to help them be happy. Unless there's a huge amount of turbulence you will be more than welcome to walk up and down the aisles with him. Pray that he'll be in a good mood and do everything you can to help him get any wiggles out before the flight (maybe let him get a lot of floor time while waiting in the airport).

Quiltgirl said...

Here's my brilliant advice: don't feel ashamed to do what is best for your baby in any situation. When Wesley was 2 mos. i took him on the plane from CA to UT... a one hour flight and the stewardess tried to get me my own row but at the last minute, this big guy insisted on sitting right by me, so i didn't feel comfortable nursing (imagine) and i fed him apple juice. what an idiot. he screamed all that night and the next day. Now i just nurse all the way up and all the way down. Lyndee did great on the way to Hawaii, but she was only 2 weeks old :) no need for crawling. ick. i don't know what to say about floor time in the airport except, just breathe :)

Globe Trecker said...

There are definitely tricks out there because every time we make our New Zealand to/from N.America flights there are always babies of every age on board and they do really well for the 13hrs. So I'd imagine they must have googled or found some great ideas!

I think if people see you are by yourself they will be understanding. It's the parents who don't do anything and let their babies scream while they casually pretend to ignore them that really bug! You will do great.

PaA-Lito said...

On our 11 hour trip from EU, a young mother simply took her baby to the back of the plane (by the galley and restroom) where there was some floor space. There she fed her baby, played, and layed the baby down.

Yea, people would pass by for the restroom, but nobody really paid any attention to her.

But now I guess it's time for you to disclose your newly acquired knowledge from experience.