Sunday, January 1, 2012

Desperation

Last January I was put into the calling of primary chorister. I loved it! I was glad to stay in primary and be able to interact with all of the primary children. It was very short lived because by April I was put in as Primary President. This calling was very overwhelming to me but I loved being able to interact with all of the primary children. It seems like "short-lived" is the definition of my callings in this ward because I was released a couple of weeks ago. "Why would they do that?" you ask. Michael was put into the bishopric as the 2nd Counselor. This leads me to the story of the day.

Today was Michael's first time conducting in Sacrament Meeting. Before he left for church I made sure to make him feel as comfortable as possible. I did this by telling him not to mess up. I made sure he knew Jonathan's reputation in Nursery depended on his performance. I had these and other comforting words of encouragement. Jonathan and I arrived and took our place on the bench in front of the bishop's family. I pointed out to his wife that our husbands were wearing very similar outfits and we had a good laugh. Michael got up to start the meeting and did a great job, even though he had forgotten to announce who was going to give the opening prayer. The meeting was wonderful... the part that I heard with Jonathan and the bishop's kids running back and forth between our benches. As Michael got up to close the meeting he said we would have the closing prayer (yes, the prayer) on page 215 and then we would have a closing prayer. I laughed to myself but thought he had done a great job for a first timer. I then made eye contact and asked who was going to say the prayer and he mouthed back to me, "You?!" The look of desperation made me say "Yes" and then I mouthed back, "You owe me so big time!!!" I turned around and asked if the bishop's wife would watch Jonathan and then as the song was ending I made my way up to the stand. Apparently he had done the same thing to poor Brother Williams with the opening prayer. So here is my only advice to my husband when it comes to conducting: Ask people to give the prayers before the meeting starts. The advice I have for myself: Never make eye contact until the meeting is over! You did it Michael, you are now officially part of the Bishopric, you did a great job today!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Haha! That's awesome. He's not alone, though. Blake's made his share of silly mistakes while he's up at the pulpit. He's gotten much better with practice, though, and so will Michael. :)

PaA-Lito said...

I'm surprised it took that long to get him to conduct a meeting.

Way to go Michael!