Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Crazy? I Was Crazy Once

"It's my belief we all, at one time or another,
secretly ask ourselves the question,
"Am I crazy?"
In my case, the answer came back: A resounding YES!

You're thinkin': How does a person know if they're crazy or not? Well, sometimes you don't know. Sometimes you can go through life suspecting you are but never really knowing for sure. Sometimes you know for sure 'cause you got so many people tellin' you you're crazy that it's your word against everyone else's....

After all, what is reality anyway? Nothin' but a collective hunch.
- Jane Wagner's one-woman play The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe.

A couple of days ago I was walking down the Trax platform when a nice gentleman about 1 foot from me screamed a hello. I looked at him, smiled and said hello back. I kept moving forward to wait for the train. The train pulled up and the nice man ended up sitting several seats in front of me. A group of men walked by to find seats up near the front. As they walked past I realized they were all wearing the same jacket and thought to myself, "Self, I think they are all wearing the same jacket." Then shortly after I had shrugged off my thought I heard, "HEY, I think you guys are all wearing the same jacket!" Yes, it was the crazy loud talking hello man. Then at the next stop another guy got on with pet hair all over his jacket. I thought, "Did he have a fight with his dog before he left home today?" Then, again from up front, I heard, "Have you been playing with your dog today?" So lets sum it up, I have the exact same thoughts as the crazy man on the train. The only difference is at least I keep my crazy in my head... that really doesn't sound better does it?!


Things I have Learned in School... So Far.


Okay, here is some of the insightful information I have already gleaned since becoming a student at the University of Utah.
  1. Michael Roy Adams turns into the bluest of blue Cougar when I threaten to buy him U paraphernalia.
  2. Apparently there is "crazy" in me but I just hide it better than some.
  3. We must not conform to The Man by waiting until he tells us when to cross the street, we must follow like a flock of sheep and cross with the crowd.
  4. The ability to use hand-eye coordination to push a button leaves when gloves are put on.

I'm sure my learning will continue as the semester moves forward and hopefully it will even become more scholarly .

No comments: