Thursday, January 22, 2009

My First Assignment

I know that homework is usually just busy work and completely boring so why read this blog entry? Because this one has to do with my new everyday activities. Since I am "getting healthy" and "going green" I have the opportunity to ride Trax everyday. So in the last week and a half I am pretty sure I haven't had a "normal" Trax experience. My first assignment? Observe 2 non-verbal conversation. I have to watch people converse, far enough away so I can't hear them but paying close attention to non-verbal expressions (I know, I love to people watch, right up my ally.) I felt like I might make good use of my Trax time by completing 1 of the two observations. I'm sure over the course of my Trax travel I will have many stories to tell because it is just so funny and strange. So don't really consider this my homework, consider this the first of many Trax narrations.

My Tales on Trax - Part 1

Situation #1 - A Man Walks Onto a Trax Train Car.

A man gets onto the train car I happen to be riding in. He is talking to someone, everyone or maybe no one at all. He finds a seat while continuing his conversation.

Non-Verbal Reaction from those around him:

  • Everyone was looking a little confused.
  • The people right around him give him the once over glance.
  • His seat partner starts to move away.
  • Everyone is staring but no one is making eye contact.
  • People start to deliberately look away.
  • Some scrambling for books or iPods.

The man starts to become more and more animated. He is now digging in his bag and pulling out a book (a paperback Bible). He is smiling and still talking to whoever is listening I guess. He continues to dig in his bag. Next he retrieves a piece of paper. He is now clearly talking to everyone around him. He leans across the isle trying to help the man sitting there understand his paper.

Non-Verbal Reaction from those around him:

  • The man across the isle leans away from him.
  • Everyone is trying to lean away from him.
  • Person sitting next to him by the window looks like she is would like to just climb into the wall.
  • No eye contact.
  • A lot of furrowed brows.

The train stops and several audience members get off, including the man across the isle. The Man changes seats and tries to talk to a group of (college?) guys. His face is still quite excited. His hand movements are getting larger as he points to his paper.

Non-Verbal Reaction from those around him:

  • Group of guys are all rolling their eyes.
  • Looking the opposite way and laughing with friends.
  • People with a little distance are watching but making sure not to catch his eye (including me).
  • Many people are pretending not to see him at all.

The train stops again and the man exits the train.

Non-Verbal Reaction from those around him:

  • An audible sigh of relief!

I'm always up for a new adventure, maybe I will add adventure to my goals for the new year. I have no idea what he was preaching but maybe next time I will sit close enough to hear. I'm sure he has had many adventures in his life and knowledge to share. I actually just hope he has a warm place to sleep at night.

No comments: