Friday, January 16, 2009

That's about right!

Vernetta Rose Hale Allen

I have been blessed with so many beautiful women in my life. Today will be a great day to think over all of their influences and how they have helped to mold and shape my life. Earlier this week my Aunt passed away and shortly I will be making the trip up to Logan to reflect on her life.

I have always loved this trip because it meant a day on the farm. We would rush through the door and Uncle John (I know, he was farmer John) would call us over, "Kimmie, well come on over here and give your Uncle John a hug." (He sounded just like John Wayne.) Aunt Vernetta would be making her homemade 8 loaves of bread with rolls on the side. Then we had to be sure to be back at the house in time to ride with her to help feed the calves. I'm sure we were no help but we loved it.

Later I decided to go to school up at Utah State University. There were a couple of reasons, first because of my love for Logan. Second because of my love for the farm. It was my first time living away from home and I knew I would be able to go over and visit the farm whenever I needed to. I had a tuff room roommate that year and I was glad for the place of refuge. Vernetta would feed me, take me to feed the calves, teach me to bake bread. I'm sure I was impeding on her time but she never acted like it. She always seemed so happy to have me come. I remember trying to bake with her was hilarious. She didn't measure anything and I had always been taught to measure everything. I would ask her how much butter to add and she would cut from her huge farm size block and say, "That's about right!" I tried to hurry and look and translate it into normal butter cubes but eventually I just had to learn the "That's about right" method. She measured everything that way.

I will miss the unconditional love I felt as we drove up to the Logan farm. I will miss the permeating smell of her homemade bread as we walked through the doors of the house. I will miss so many things about her but I am so glad for the memories I do have. It was time for us to let go and give her back to her dear husband John. I am sure that everyone who knew her is feeling her loss but I think she was ready to go and I can imagine her saying, "That's about right."

1 comment:

Sherri H. Hoffman said...

Did she teach all of us to make bread? And you got it just right here.