Wednesday, April 14, 2010

In Her Own Words

I keep thinking, I need to update my blog and facebook account with pictures and information. Then I think, how do I have any time when all I want to do is watch my beautiful baby. (I know, this really is Kim right now.) It makes me so sad to realize how fast he is already growing and how short a time I will have with my little man. Okay, I will start at the beginning...





We found out on Wednesday, March 31, that Dr Pack wanted to induce me on Thursday, April 1st. I said, "Perfect!" (It really was his idea and of course I agreed.) I was in a slow labor and already 100% effaced and 3 cm dilated. He told us to get to the hospital between 7-7:30 AM the next morning and we would deliver The Kid. (I'm sure Dr Pack referred to Jonathan as the baby but this is my voice.)


That night we decided to go on one last date. Michael had to run to the store and while he was there he picked up a small package of crumb donuts for me, one of my favorites. He figured why not splurge on my last meal, even if it wasn't going to stay down. Then he took me out for my favorite hot chocolate at Seattle's Best. We tried to take some ghost pictures at the Welcome to Las Vegas Sign but failed. Then it was home for final preparation and sleep.

The next day we were up bright and early. Michael had been packing the car for about two weeks so we were good to go. (He was so worried my water was going to break at any minute even though I kept reassuring him it only happened to 8 to 10% of women.) We were met by Angela our nurse who showed us back to our room. (We were told we were lucky because our delivery room was the biggest one. It seemed like we really needed all the space by the end with all of the hospital staff hanging out in there.) Angela started the IV, Dr. Pack came in and broke my water, and soon after the contractions started. At first they felt like a good menstrual cramp. Michael was soon called over to my bed to help me breathe through them. Then we called Angela back in and asked when I could get the epidural. Not long after I was given my first epidural life got a little better. As the contractions continued to come the pain continued to increase. They tried upping the pain meds but there was still a lot of pain. The first epidural came out and the second one went in; it worked much better. I remember looking up at Michael at some point in the process and asking if he could do the rest for me. I was hungry and weak and didn't know how I was going to have strength to finish. He laughed and said he was really sorry. I then told him he was never to bring up pregnancy again. If I bring it up we can talk about it but he was forbidden to talk about it first. He quickly agreed. My epidural wore off just in time for the pushing to start. After about one and half hours Dr. Pack decided he would help out and use his salad tongs (forceps) to guide Jonathan out. Two contractions later Jonathan entered the world. All of the crew in my room commented on how he was our little linebacker because his weight didn't match his length.
During delivery I remember thinking, "This might possibly kill me but if it doesn't how will I love this kid who has caused me such pain?" After they had cleaned Jonathan off and they handed him to me I remember thinking, "How could I have ever doubted I would love my beautiful baby boy." I know women talk about how the pregnancy pain is a forgettable pain, I have not forgotten anything yet. I do know that if I had to do it all over again with the same results I wouldn't hesitate. I think that is the miracle of birth.

He looked so cute in this outfit for about 2 hours, then he peed all over it. What a turkey!

After a couple of nights at the hospital (which were fabulous! We would take Jonathan to the nursery at night and they would wheel him back in the morning. We didn't have one nurse come in during that time) we all came home and have been doing great! I have felt 100% better than the whole time I was pregnant. We have been taking it easy but I feel like I have done more in the last two weeks than the whole 9 months before.



After Jonathan's first bath. He loves his bath time!

Just like cousin Danny, Jonathan loves spending time kicking and moving by the window while we listen to soft music.

The roughest day of his life so far. He slept most of the day away after his "procedure".

Michael stayed home with us for the first couple of days. After sitting around with a much slower schedule than he is used to he went back to work. My mom came down for a week to help out. I was so grateful to have her here. She provided company as well as a lot of help as was needed. She is one of my best friends so I always enjoy spending quality time with her. On Saturday, Michael even let us have a girls night out with friend Alison and we went to The Lion King, the musical. (We all loved it! Different enough from the movie and the costumes were worth it all by themselves.) With the help of so many different people this transition has been a pretty smooth one. Thanks to everyone for helping out, even if it's just been answering my crazy questions all the time.

Next week is our last week here in Las Vegas. We are going to miss our friends so much but we are looking forward to bringing Jonathan home so he can meet everyone else. In the meantime we are headed down to CA this weekend so Jonathan can meet my brother Ken (the first uncle he will meet. Jenna already won the contest of the first aunt last Monday on her way to CA).

My sister-in-law Katie told me there was a day when she looked at my niece and wondered how she had lived without her in her life. I look at little Jonathan and feel the same way. His little spirit has truly been a blessing in our home.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I love all the pictures! Jonathan is sooooooo cute. Nothing better than a new born. I have had three nephews born this year. Two in Feb and the other a week ago. Boys Rule!

anoyce said...

Gotta say I love this post! I'm so glad to hear that you're both transitioning well. I'm not going to lie - we are SOOO excited for you guys to come back to UT! I think this has been the longest time period that we haven't seen/talked with you. I know life can be crazy during the first couple of weeks, so I've wanted to leave you alone, but I may just call soon.

I love, love, love all of the pictures and can't wait to hold Jonathan! He is absolutely adorable, and I love that he and cousin Danny can lay in the sun together and sunbathe/eat each other's hands (like Danny did to Elias). We'll see you guys soon!!

Globe Trecker said...

Kim, I'm so glad you did this post! It was really fun to read and follow you through it all. So sweet:) Glad everything is going well for you guys!