Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My Baby is Broken

I don't want to point any fingers or name any names (Nicomi Morris) but I feel as though my baby might have been broken on our quick trip to California last weekend. Since our return home he has refused to let me put him down during the day. He will fall asleep, I will put him down and within five minutes he will be crying like he has been pierced through the heart. I love the little guy but a mom needs to use the restroom every now and again. I let him cry but I can only take so much before I cave and have to pick him up, at which time he promptly falls back to sleep. I thought we held him a lot but apparently there is always more holding to be done. So while I am sure Jonathan is broken I would like to thank all who took part in the breaking. I will never complain about too much love for my small fry, I don't think too much love can exist. Plus, how can I blame the un-named party for wanting to hold him so much, he's just so perfect! (But I'm partial.) At least he still sleeps by himself at night.

Our quick trip to Cali was just what the doctor ordered. First I will say that taking a trip with a child is a lot different than BJ (Before Jonathan). I have always been a quick packer. I figure a trip isn't a good trip unless you forget something at home. With a newborn that is not the case any longer. Michael and I shared a small carry on suitcase like always, while little sweet Jonathan had his own twice as large bag.


After packing up we hit the road, about a good two hours after we had planned to leave. The trip was smooth sailing and we were making great time. About two hours later we heard from Jonathan. We stopped at the next exit, which happened to be Ghost Town Road in Calico. The service stations left everything to be desired (the worst restrooms I have ever been in.) We quickly used the restrooms and decided to feed and change Jonathan in the car. After finishing his bottle Michael began to burp Jonathan. For a kid who never spits up he sure had a lot to share with Michael. Almost the whole bottle was emptied on Michael's shirt. Somehow Jonathan missed himself and the burp cloth completely. Michael passed him off so I could start changing his diaper while Michael cleaned off. Everything was going great until Jonathan decided he wasn't done pooping yet. It started to go everywhere at which time I yelled to Michael to lift Jonathan up so it didn't go down his back. (Luckily he was on a changing pad.) At this point I am at a loss at how to clean everything off so I could continue to clean Jonathan. As I am doing my best to get everything clean I said to Michael, "He's going to pee on me." Right on cue he let's it go and gets me right in the arm. I return to cleaning thinking we are all clear when he starts up again. This time I was able to jump out of the way just in time to see his line of fire spray all over the car door. At this point we are at a loss for how a good parent would handle this situation and decided to handle it our way. Michael picks poor Jonathan up, takes him out of the car and holds him at arm's length away. I grab wipes and start cleaning. People are pumping gas and looking at us like we are the worst parents ever. Finally we get him taken care of and back in the car, happy as a clam... and one hour later.

When we finally reached California we were able to meet up with my little brother Kenny and his "friend" for dinner. It was fun to talk with him and get to know Jenny better. It was pretty late so we headed back to the hotel and made plans to meet up in the morning.


The next day we met up with Ken and Jenny to go on tour of Camp Pendleton. We started out by viewing the trucks Ken drives from a distance (they were locked up because it was Saturday). Next on the tour we visited the beach that is on base. Jonathan loved being outside and seemed to enjoy the sound of the ocean. I'm pretty sure he didn't like the actual feet in the water though. We finished off by driving around base to see where Ken works, works out and plays. It was fun to get to spend so much time with him.


Ken had a commitment up north so we said our good-byes and we headed south to San Diego. We stopped by the temple on the way down to take some pictures. Then went to hang out with Aunt Nicomi so Jonathan could get some good lovin. The next day we attended church, where the whole Morris family joined in on the breaking of my child. After church we stopped by the newly remodeled Mormon Battalion center (which is 100% better than the old one.) Then we headed back to Nicomi's to pack up and head out.


It really was a quick trip but I am so glad we were able to make it. We knew once we left Las Vegas it would be that much harder to make the trip. We are sure Jonathan will be better soon and look forward to many more broken days in the future.


8 comments:

Unknown said...

You guys are making us nervous! I told Doug he should somehow get a bunch of mini-tents (you know like the ones they have as samples of tents they sell at Target) and we could use those as "changing tents" by sticking our hands through the windows. It would be like an "over-diaper" for the diapering process.

Globe Trecker said...

Your stories are hilarious! I could see it all happening.

What do you think about taking him camping? We swear we still will go camping but then wonder sometimes.

The Adams Family said...

Anne,
I think that is the best idea I have ever heard. You will see how brillent the idea really is if you have a boy. I have been hit several times and Michael has been hit even more than that.

The Adams Family said...

Angela,
We are planning a long camping trip up to Jackson Hole this Aug. We are going to try car camping a couple of times before then. If it all goes south we can jump in the car and head to a hotel. We figure he needs to learn young.

anoyce said...

I love the story, especially Jonathan pooping and peeing all over you/the car. Good thing Michael got some early preparation with Danny pooping on him. Also, I don't think you can claim you are the worst parents...although you may tie with us if Michael was holding him upside...

Lindsay said...

Motherhood = getting pooped on. Welcome to the club.

Unknown said...

There is always the Peepee Teepee option. I had no idea they were real until my friend told me about them. You can even get them from The Gap.

PaA-Lito said...

So, I finally got to your blog. I couldn't stop laughing! Thanks for sharing the experience...and the memories.

I love all the pictures.

When do you head for Jackson Hole in August?

I can't wait to visit.