Monday, August 31, 2009

The Miracle of Pregnancy

I've heard my whole life how pregnancy is such a miracle... yeah a real miracle that anyone would do this more than once. Does the miracle part come to play because it's an absolute miracle that the mother lives through this experience. Is the true miracle when you actually love the child when it arrives. I'm sure there is a miracle somewhere in this experience but I will just keep searching for it.

I have always thought of pregnancy as pretty gross. This is a picture of what the kid looks like but I'm pretty sure it's not really a kid. I am pretty sure I have an alien life form attacking my body. I don't know how you can look at that picture and not think alien, it has a tail for heaven's sake. (It doesn't help that I watched V the Final Battle when I was younger.) I am completely under attack and just waiting for the thing to claw it's way through my stomach. Unfortunately that probably won't happen until it has sucked me dry of all life first.

Last Friday was my first Doctor's appointment. As the Nurse Practitioner walked into the room she said, "I can see you aren't feeling well." Oh, I look that bad do I?! Luckily she was a sicky while prego and had a ton of sympathy for me. We talked about things I had tried to eat and how my diet was getting pretty slim pickings. She finished the list with the advice that protein drinks would probably be good because they have nutrients and don't hurt on the way back out... comforting. She said not to worry about the baby's health because the baby was doing just fine. (Which really was comforting because I had experienced several breakdowns because I was sure I was starting out as the worst mom ever. I can't even take my vitamins.) She said the kid takes what it needs but they were more worried about my health (backing up my life sucking alien theory). They confirmed that I was indeed prego, if I wasn't sure already, and that everything looked really good... until they got the test back informing them I was severely dehydrated. I was then set up with an IV and received 2 litters of fluids and sent home with 3 prescriptions for my nausea. They said potentially I would need to come in once a week for an IV if I didn't start keeping fluids down. I guess the bright side of things is that I have lost 12 to 14 pounds over the last month (depending on my fluid levels). It's the most effective diet I have ever been on.

We really are excited and can't wait for this alien to turn into a beautiful kid for us to welcome into our family. I guess our blog now turns into a pregnancy update for the next 7 months. The due date is April 4th. Wish us luck!

12 comments:

Becca said...

You're too funny. But hey, at least you're honest. Congratulations!! That's very exciting news. At least 2 months was already taken out of the picture. Hope you'll be able to keep things down soon.

gina bina said...

Um, I'm speechless. Literally. But at the same time, so excited for you! I'm totally sorry you are sick though...not having been through it, I wouldn't even know where to begin sympathizing so I won't even try.

P.S. what ever happened to the Kim I know who was never going to get married or have kids? You are such a sell-out :)

Lindsay said...

Congratulations! Blake and I are so excited for you both. I completely understand the blah-ness associated with pregnancy, though, and I have to admit that it's SO NICE to not be pregnant anymore. Hang in there, and good luck. The end result is always worth it. :)

PaA-Lito said...

Sorry, but I haven't had the experience and just can't relate...except that I do love SciFi. Go aliens! This is going to be just like waiting for the ET movie.

¡Congratulations!

Mel said...

Congrats, congrats!!!

tjneumann said...

I can't really sympahtize with the pregnancy part... but I will say all the hard stuff you're doing now will be worth it in the end. Hang in there! Excited to see ya on Tuesday.

danniellespackman said...

How exciting!!! Sorry you are so sick, but It is all worth it!! And April is the best time of year to have a baby!! YEAH!!!

Marnie said...

Congrats on the little one! I'm with you on pregnancy, it really is the pits, but when you start to feel the baby move it gets better!
PS I agree with your friends earlier comment about your "NEVER" list and am glad you are a "sell-out"!!!

Nikki said...

-K- you know all 3 of my kids..really well, not only are they very healthy and strong and crazy at 10, 5 and 2, but they were all very healthy and strong babies...I was never able to take any vitamins. They all made sicker, no matter which one I tried! Don't stress, the kid will be fine without them. And you are not a bad Mom...you are a fantastic Mom already!!! Being pregnant always felt alien to me too...even with the 3rd. The jury is still out on the miracle aspect...hehehe JK. Give me a call if you need to talk!

Globe Trecker said...

Congrats! Your baby will be close to Lee and Jose's right?

The Adams Family said...

Angela, Lee and Jose's baby is due middle of December, so about 3 1/2months later.

JRO said...

Kim I did not know you were with child! That is very exciting news! I hope all is well!

Jimmy