Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Deja Vu

Gas Station in Idaho
On our way up to Idaho Jonathan started to get hungry but Aaron was still sleeping so I decided to give Jonathan a granola bar to help curb his hunger so we could continue driving.  As we continued driving Jonathan started to crumble the granola bar up and toss the crumbs all over the car.  (I didn't realize how OCD I was until I had a child.)  I looked back and started freaking out.  I was telling him in a pretty loud and forceful voice to please stop.  It was totally driving me crazy.  I looked at Michael and asked him to please pull over at the next stop or I might just have a nervous breakdown.  I tried to keep my cool as we continued to the next exit.  When we finally arrived I had to laugh as we pulled into the gas station.  And here is the story why.

When I was a child we were traveling up to Idaho for a family reunion.  We were in a mini van and my brother Kyler and I were on the way back seat. (I'm not sure where the mini van came from since we never did own one.)  We were getting along but just bugging each other like normal.  We might not have been quiet but I figured at least we weren't fighting.  I guess my mom had given us multiple warnings to stop and be still but I don't remember that part.  Finally out of desperation she pulled off the freeway at this very gas station, turned around and said, "Open the door and get the hell out of the car."  As our mouths hung open she instructed us to run around while she regained her sanity.  We then got back in the car and headed on our way with a great story to tell all the relatives at the reunion. 

This is a story my mom will never live down and I've often chuckled as we drive past the gas station on our way up to Idaho.  I got a great laugh as I pulled in this time and had a small inkling of what she might have been feeling on that day so long ago.

1 comment:

kdp said...

Always love hearing that story - no matter who tells it! ;p
Glad you didn't kill anyone.
Love ya!