Sunday, March 16, 2008

Flashback

I would like to take a moment and step back in time. I don't want to go too far back, lets just travel back a little over a year. How about February 17th, 2007? It was a beautiful day, the sun was out but the powder was still heavenly. A group of friends (Jose, Analee and I) decided to take a trip to the slopes to enjoy the blessings of living in Utah during the winter. Somehow we finally talked Michael Adams into joining us... it would be his first Snowboarding trip ever! We were excited and full energy, ready for a long day on the slopes. Analee headed up with Michael so she could start his training. Jose and I finished up two runs while Lee and Michael finished their first. We switched it up and Lee and I completed 2 runs while Jose worked with Michael. After that it was my turn to help Michael down the mountain. By this time Michael had completed 2 full runs and was very exhausted, we were all really proud for his first day out. He and I started down the hill and he was a maniac! By this time he was starting to get tired and a little out of control. He would aim his board down the mountain and go full speed until he crashed and burned. This worked for me until he cut right in front of me. We were facing each other as his back edge caught. He went down first and I came tumbling down after... just like the nursery rhyme. As he fell his board came up so when I fell my shins landed right on his front edge. With the velocity of the fall and my entire weight pressing against the edge of his board I began to feel the pain. When we finished sliding down the mountain I was laying on top of him, we were both laughing but I remember telling him, "I think I may have broken one or maybe both of my legs." After examining my legs I knew I needed to find first aid. I strapped my boots back on and headed down the mountain. I hadn’t cried yet because I didn’t want Michael to feel bad. As I took the lead I started to let the tears flow freely, knowing that I would have to stop once I reached the bottom. We arrived at the mid-mountain lift to find no First Aid anywhere; we would have to go to the top. Riding the chair lift up was quite possibly one of the most painful experiences of my life. We got to the top and someone was already in First Aid. I was gearing up to make the final run back to the main lodge when an angel (or a Ski Patrol) got off the lift. I told him what had happened and he cleaned me up and called for a ride. By this time Lee and Jose rejoined us and I turned Michael back into their capable hands and took my ride down the mountain. 5 hours later we were in the insta-care where Michael was forced to hold my hand while I received 4 stitches in each leg, 8 total! I guess this goes back to the old saying – You broke it, you bought it!

4 comments:

gina bina said...

I totally remember when this happened and you telling us all about it at work. And I do recall telling you that were in love with Michael, but you were in denial. You should listen to me more.

The Adams Family said...

I don't think you said I was in love with Michael, I think you said I should be in love with Michael. At least I listened... even if it did take a year.

gina bina said...

Well yes, you should be in love with Michael. And look...you are! I'm genius I tell you. Pure genius.

Hilary said...

I am so glad you are blogging and I love all the pictures you posted on this one! I love the "stance" in the top one and I have this kind of sick fascination for blood and gore!?! Hmmm...