A lot of people have put in requests to hear more about our story. Here goes...
It all started back a little over 2 and a half years ago. It was a hot August day, Michael had just moved up to Salt Lake after graduating from BYU in Provo. He started attending the Roosevelt ward, the same ward congregation I had been attending for church. I was in charge of the Family Home Evenings (Monday night activities) at the time and was hosting the annual pool party. Michael rode his bike over to my apartment and came in sitting quietly taking in his new surroundings. I remember talking to my roommates about the new kid and how quiet he was but also how aggressive he became while playing pool games. Shortly after the pool party he became one of our apartments Home Teachers (assigned to come visit and check up on us once a month) and a good friend.
Our first "date" took place when I needed someone to sit next to for a Saturday night church meeting. All of my usual cohorts were singing in the choir. I needed someone to drive over with and sit next to... I know I could have gone by myself but think of where this might have left the progression of our relationship. I decided to call Michael up because I knew he would be going but I wasn't sure if he was dating anyone at the time. The conversation went like this, "Michael, this is Kim Prettyman from the Roosevelt Ward. I was wondering if you had a date for Stake conference tonight? If you don't have a date can I go with you? You don't have to count this as a date but you can if you want to but don't feel like this is a date... if you don't want to." He came over to get me 30 min before the meeting started.
As we became better friends we realized we had more and more in common. It started with Lost every Wednesday night at our friends Margot and Heidi's. Then we had Institute (scripture study) on Tuesday nights (which he was much better at attending). Eventually he joined the guitar class I was taking after Institute on Tuesday nights. He picked up snowboarding (with only a little scarring... me not him). We loved to hang out at the park and people watch while practicing guitar. We rode on his bike lane (his project) along Wasatch Blvd after it had been completed. We went on camp outs with friends. After several months of "hanging out" together he told me he was going away for the summer to work on a project in Southern CA. I was so sad because he had slowing become my best friend and what was I supposed to do all summer long?! I expressed my sorrow at the loss of a summer buddy but realized it was a little different than just a buddy. I guess the rest is history.
2 comments:
You Prettyman's are really good and being "really good\best friends" for a long time before dating your future spouses! It has worked out TREMENDOULSY for us though...hence the 3 cutest kids ever to come to this earth...Sorry Everyone...but you know it's true! JK!!!!
Thanks for posting your "how you met" story!
Post a Comment