Also, the city seems to have some sort of unenforced curfew. It is more like a parent telling us that it is time to go to sleep and wake up. Every night the fire engines and/or ambulances run down our street right outside our door blaring their sirens. But not only do they announce bedtime, the City of Seattle does not want us to be late for work, so they send the fire engines and/or ambulances with their sirens blaring again early in the morning! It is so great!
Although Seattle is such a large city, it has a really small-town feel. After I picked Kim up from the airport we were trying to find a grocery market. But Seattle and its surrounding cities do not support such big-box large-scale corner-market-destroying grocery stores. Oh no...they only support small mom and pop grocery stores. After searching for one of those evil large corporation grocery chain stores, we realized that perhaps we should search our souls and determine what really is better. And so instead I went to the local market on my way home from work.
Unfortunately I pulled a major Seattle faux pax. When I purchased those groceries from the local market I did not have my own bag to haul them home. They did give me one plastic bag, though, for the peanut butter, honey, bread, rice, soup, cheese, and peaches. I have learned my lesson, and it is such a blessing that Kim's mom was thinking of us and provided us with a going-away present of 5 reusable cloth grocery bags!
Seattle really is such a great place. We will make sure to keep you up to speed with our adventures.
2 comments:
You guys crack me up! Also, the sirens sound hauntingly similar to the ones we hear constantly here in NYC. Enjoy your stay!
You're in hippy town!! Maybe Kenneth and I should move there!
Post a Comment