Sunday, August 17, 2008

Temple Trip Up to Seattle

On Saturday PaA came into Salt Lake City on his way to Logan to be with Jayne and her family. We, meaning Amy and Kenneth, Alisha, and Kim and I, all went to breakfast at Denny's with PaA just to visit. We then looked at Amy and Kenneth's Hawaii pictures and Kim and I then headed back home to pack for the trip to Seattle.


Then we got a call from Eric and Nikki. They were going to the Capitol to see one of the original Declarations of Independence on display. So we headed up there also. Well, Kim stayed there and I went back home to continue packing, but when they got close I got a call and headed back up there.



Finally at about 4:15 PM the car was loaded, the hour was late, and I headed out on my lonely way to Seattle. Kim stayed home to party with Nicomi over the weekend and planned to fly out on Tuesday. I pulled out, and on this first part, passed the Salt Lake Temple, the Bountiful Temple, and unseen but nearby, the Ogden Temple.


My first stop was in Twin Falls, Idaho to attend the open house for the new temple there. Today was the last day for the open house, and I arrived at 7:30 PM...and the open house was over at 8:00. It is a very nice temple. The mural was very nice, and apparently has its own "Where's Waldo?" item of a small, four-inch lizard on a rock near the front on the right side near the doorway. After I ate a cookie and took some photos of the temple, I headed out to Boise for the night.



I stopped in Boise and after driving around somewhat lost or just confused for a while, finally found a place to stay for the night. This was a Rodeway Inn that looked acceptable. It was near the freeway and next to a nice hospital. But all that changed when I began hauling my bag into the room. That was when I met the white trash ladies with their little dog heading back in after allowing the pooch to use the facilities outside on the grass. As we were all climbing the stairs they met their six white trash guy friends, each one of those guys holding their own big beer can and reeking of alcohol. But they were friendly, said "Hello" and I headed in for a few-hours nap.

Sunday morning I went to church in the meetinghouse next to the Boise Temple. So after church I wandered around the Boise Temple and, yes, took a few more pictures of me there also. Back in the car at about 1:00 PM. Now that I-84 and I-82 route through Oregon is very boring. Even I-80 in Nevada is more interesting. But the interesting thing was that I saw more vehicles with Washington license plates than vehicles with Oregon plates...and we were in Oregon. At about 5:30 or so I pulled into Richland, Washington and walked around the Columbia River Temple. Yes...more pictures.



Finally I headed back in the car for the final leg into Seattle, with a short stop in Yakima for gas. And while driving along I-90 in Seattle, I looked to my right and saw the Seattle Temple, with scaffolding around the steeple, but I did not stop. It was almost 10:00, I was tired, and I wanted to sleep. Sorry, no pictures of the Seattle Temple...yet.

1 comment:

anoyce said...

Gee Michael! You were cutting it pretty close there for the open house! Thank goodness WE weren't the ones to keep you! ;)